Theory: Brussels — as the workplace of many “EU professionals” — has a large population of people from all over the EU (diversity and away from home), most of them fluent in English (good for mixing), and all of them working in a social/bureaucratic atmosphere (personal relations and “mixers”) are common. This seems quite the formula for an active dating scene in comparison to, say, Berlin or Barcelona (cities dominated by the “youth” dating scenes).
Data: I don’t have any. Do you? (Even anec-data are welcome 🙂
My one-handed assertion is that “nature will find a way” 🙂
We hear a lot of “we need to prevent climate
change chaos [CC] to save the Earth humanity,” but that cliché is just wrong.
- There are nearly 8 billion of us, and I am pretty sure that some of us will survive the current (sixth) mass extinction that is being driving by CC.* Humans, like cockroaches, will find ways to survive, even if it’s in a Matrix of some sort.
- Human populations are already falling due to a combination of pessimism, female empowerment, and the high cost of raising babies. So we’re moving from quantity to quality, which will mean that everyone will have a greater chance of living.
- Even if male fertility continues to fall (the “Children of Men” scenario), we will find a way to reproduce.
- Humans are the pre-eminent species at adopting ourselves into hostile environments and/or changing those habitats to suit ourselves.
In combination, I predict that our world of 2100 or 2200 will be much more dangerous (due to CC) than today but inhabited by a smaller population of humans who have found ways to cope with harsh conditions and a falling standard of living. (We will need to pay for man-made alternatives as today’s “free” ecosystem services weaken/collapse/reverse.)
Beginning around then and strengthening as history unfolds and humans are beaten back, I predict that some ecosystems (and their services) will come back as people are forced to retreat. In some ways, there may be a flowering of diversity in this “new Eden” but it may not be so friendly to our descendants.
My one-handed conclusion is that humans will always be on Earth, even if they are less dominant.
* There’s the possibility of a catastrophic, “Don’t Look Up” event, but I’m not sure that even that would eliminate ALL humans.
Economics concerns itself with voluntary, win-win exchanges among actors that increase overall wealth. Economics depends upon property rights.
Politics concerns itself with rights to choose, refuse or oblige. Rights imply the ability to force others into action (or prevent them from acting), which translates into non-voluntary (compulsory), zero-sum transfers of wealth (or its equivalent) from those with less power to those with more power.
Power can be exchanged into wealth but wealth cannot always be exchanged into power.