It’s my 54th birthday today! Woo hoo!
Rather than try to write a poem/song in the style of “When I’m 64,” here are a few thoughts:
- I’ve decided to release my Best of Aguanomics (2018) as a free ePub. Initially, I did not want to make a digital version available — thereby forcing people to buy the (door stop) sized book so they could read it on paper (and probably on the toilet), but I realized that the ebook would allow people to browse a chapter a day (455 of them!) or skip around.
Data: Since releasing the book nearly 5 years ago, I’ve sold 77 copies (and made $14, since I sell as close to cost as possible), so this move won’t put me in poverty 😉
- I’ve stepped away from Reddit in two stages: (a) I deleted the Apollo app from my phone and iPad in July, after Reddit killed third-party developers and (b) by unsubscribing to 180 (!) subreddits that were mostly time-wasting click bait. So now I hope to have a healthier, occasionally relationship with the site. My decision to quit other socials (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube) has only given me greater joy with time 🙂
- I was interested to read this detailed report on world inequality. Although I am not in the top 10 percent of global rich, by cash income, I know that I am very privileged to have my health, friends, a good job and apartment, etc. It’s good to remember when things are going well 🙂
- My dad is 90 and in pretty good spirits. My mom died when she was 46 after a long bout with cancer. It’s good to remember that things do not always go according to plan.
- My sailing hobby is now more “stable” (compared to Doffer), as my boat (a 1971 Vrijheid re-named Chance) is smaller, more common, closer to my house, and in a club of many others who can teach me more. Nobody comes to the Netherlands for the mountains, but they should come to enjoy the water (sports)!
- Why “Chance“? Because there’s a lot that can go right and wrong on a boat, so it’s not a good idea to plan too aggressively. Perfection is an illusion with boats, so I try to remember that “90 percent is good enough”
- Speaking of pursuing
perfectionimprovement, I’ve signed up (and been gifted) two wood working courses, so I will have more hands on experience to humble my aspirations!
Seven is enough, I think.