- A podcast on rethinking economics (something I’ve been doing for awhile)
- The institutions of a liberal society depend on trust, which is under assault. [This is one of the best essays I read in 2018.] Related: The Republican party is using authoritarian methods in a power grab.
- Facebook isn’t just showing you ads. It’s selling your data to companies and showing that revenue as “advertising”. Here’s an example:
- Humans have some terrible tendencies: lie, betray and more
- OTOH: Here’s the paper describing the “general purpose” AI that learned (from zero) how to beat the best chess computer in 4 hours.
- Are we getting sick because we’re killing the helpful bacteria in our gut?
- Bill McKibbon on how badly we’re screwing up the planet. Sad.
- China is buying up media and journalists world-wide to promote “its good side” in yet another step into an illiberal world where power decides truth. 🙁
- A really nice history of the synthetic drugs that are messing up so many people
H/T to CD